Global Economic Outlook
- Global growth will slow into 2023, with US and European growth not much above zero. Risks are to the downside with sub-trend growth extending into 2024.
- Amid improved supply and slowing demand, a powerful disinflationary episode takes hold. More favorable inflation data could see the Fed cut interest rates late this year.
Emerging Markets Outlook
- Amid lowing global demand and constricting monetary policy, the economic backdrop for emerging markets (EM) remains difficult.
- China’s reopening should boost EM growth performance, but risks remain.
Global Capital Markets
- Financial market oriented signals point to an improving backdrop for capital markets just as economic growth in advanced economies is poised to straddle weak or recessionary conditions — leading to a tenuous balance of risks.
- Bond markets present opportunities across geographies, maturities and sectors. We prefer allocations to cash and government bonds (US and non-US) to take advantage of current carry and defend against slowing economic growth.
Originally Posted January 27th, 2022, State Street Global Advisors blog
PHOTO CREDIT: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/HTWE
The views expressed in this material are the views of Simona Mocuta, Jeremiah Holly and Louis Basque through the period ended December 31, 2022 and are subject to change based on market and other conditions. This document may contain certain statements deemed to be forward-looking statements.
All statements, other than historical facts, contained within this document that address activities, events or developments that SSGA expects, believes or anticipates will or may occur in the future are forward-looking statements. These statements are based on certain assumptions and analyses made by SSGA in light of its experience and perception of historical trends, current conditions, expected future developments and other factors it believes are appropriate in the circumstances, many of which are detailed herein. Such statements are subject to a number of assumptions, risks, uncertainties, many of which are beyond SSGA’s control. Please note that any such statements are not guarantees of any future performance and that actual results or developments may differ materially from those projected in the forward- looking statements.
The information provided does not constitute investment advice and it should not be relied on as such. It should not be considered a solicitation to buy or an offer to sell a security. It does not take into account any investor’s particular investment objectives, strategies, tax status or investment horizon. You should consult your tax and financial advisor. All material has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable. There is no representation or warranty as to the accuracy of the information and State Street shall have no liability for decisions based on such information.
Investing involves risk, including the possible loss of principal. Diversification does not ensure a profit nor guarantee against a loss. Past performance is not a guarantee of future results.
This material represents an assessment of the market environment at a specific point in time and is not intended to be a forecast of future events, or a guarantee of future results. This information is not intended to be individual or personalized investment or tax advice and should not be used for trading purposes. Please consult a financial advisor or tax professional for more information regarding your investment and/or tax situation.